You are here: Home Herstory There's a First Time for Everything

There's a First Time for Everything

1918
Participating in the first Women's Day at the Canadian National Exhibition, several members walked in the parade carrying banners promoting women‟s war work.

1919
At this time, the Toronto Club boasted as members

  • The only woman watchmaker in the city
  • The only woman customs broker
  • The only woman optician.

1921
On June 16, the word “Professional” appeared for the first time in the Club title.

1924
The Toronto Club's first bulletin made its appearance in August. Club Life was eight pages long and carried paid advertising. By the middle of the following year, it had grown to a hefty 12 pages. Although the bulletin was a huge success and made a healthy profit which helped to defray the costs of the lunchroom, it was discontinued in 1925.

A new publication, The Business Woman was felt to be too competitive and so Club Life was incorporated into its rival. Thereafter it lost its impetus and influence.

The Club later came to regret the decision to give up producing its own bulletin.

1927
An unpleasant event forced two changes in the Club: a fur coat “disappeared” from the clubroom. After investigation, the Club was found negligent and was obliged to replace the coat at a cost of $350. This “unfortunate situation” resulted in the appearance of the first “coat check” in the Club and the disappearance of the word “Incorporated” from the Club name so that the membership could no longer be held liable for future losses.

1929
A fund for needy members was established, due no doubt to the worsening economic conditions of the times. To receive assistance, a woman had to have been a Club member for at least 6 months. The maximum amount which could be allocated to any one member was $300.

1936
The annual report of the House Committee in May revealed the source of the Toronto BPW Club's silver tea service: “We sent out a 'call' to our members for donations to buy a silver tea service and coffee pot. We are presenting this service this evening and want now to purchase a silver hot water pitcher and have our present urn silvered...”

1943
The Blue Cross Plan for Hospital Care was suggested in September, and later implemented for all Club members who wished to take advantage of this new and unique plan.

1948
A resolution was submitted to the executive for Scholarships for business and professional women.

1949
The Emblem Breakfast was inaugurated in January, at the Oak Room, Union Station, with all five clubs in the Toronto area participating.

The Club through the offices of Margaret P. Hyndman, Q.C., was re-incorporated under the Ontario Companies Act as a Corporation without share capital by Letters Patent. This became effective February, 1949, when the name was changed to the Toronto Business & Professional Women's Club.

1950
A Civic Affairs Committee (later the Public Affairs Committee) under the leadership of Harriet Parsons was launched, on February 20 on an ad hoc basis. Its main duty was to attend Toronto City Council meetings and report back to the Club any issues on which it was felt action should be taken.

1952
Name tags for all our members were issued for the first time.

1955
A book club was formed, each member taking her turn reviewing a book. These were worthwhile and happy gatherings at the homes of various members.

1956
It was decided at a meeting on May 10 that Dr. Bourinot's Rules of Order on Parliamentary Procedures should be our authority for conducting meetings.