You are here: Home Herstory Fundraising

Fundraising

In the last 75 years the Club has, through strenuous and creative fundraising activities, contributed to individuals, groups, and communities in need. Their impressive actions speak for themselves.

1931
The Toronto Club organized and sponsored a fundraising bridge night. With 40 captains serving 1,000 tables, the Club managed to bring in $4,058.11 in total receipts. Profit after all disbursements were taken care of was reported at an impressive $1,482.94.

1933
A report from the Service Committee on March 28 demonstrates the Club's commitment to aiding women:

“The Service Convenor stated that the Unemployment Committee is looking after 150 girls. They have spent about $2,000 so far this year and most of the money is being given by the teachers and the City is supplying the balance. The Club has given shoes, toothbrushes, toothpaste and a small amount of money.”

1933
A highly successful fundraising event was organized by the Club on December 2. Titled “Sale of Work & Tea,” the event nettled $1,812.10. Sales booths set up for the gala event were:

  • Bridge accessories
  • Candy
  • China
  • Dolls
  • Fancy work
  • Handkerchiefs
  • Flowers
  • Homemade cooking
  • Christmas cards.

A tea and supper room, fortune teller, hope chest, and dog raffle also contributed to the proceeds.

1945
At our Christmas Sale in 1945, we had a profit of $1,000 and sent a donation to the Save the Children Fund. We also sent a donation to the Trawler Fund and the British Seamen‟s Fund.

1946
All the women's groups of Toronto banded together for a fashion show at the Royal York, and raised $2,500, which helped furnish the beautiful sitting rooms at the new Sunnybrook Hospital.

We donated $300 to the Second Mile Club, and often entertained them with songs and skits followed by refreshments.

$250 was given to the War Amps' Project, and clothing sent to the Aid for Holland fund.

Dr. Lotta Hirschmanova, of Prague, Czechoslovakia, made a moving appeal for aid to starving, freezing Europe. Through the Unitarian Service Committee, and a generous donation from our own Elizabeth Rothwell and her sister, the Club was able to adopt a Czech child, Anna.

1949
Our Welfare Committee sent large cartons of clean, used clothing to the Salvation Army for distribution to the victims of the Winnipeg flood.

Some 400 woollens, flannels and hand knitted garments were again sent to Europe, two shipments going to Greece and one box to the Scott Mission of Toronto.

1952
The Club supported the Women's College Hospital fundraising campaign and sent $100 to the CFBPWC for flood relief in Holland and in England.

A letter was received from Italy asking for assistance to women in the district of the great flood. The Club dispatched a box of clothing in January to help the flood victims.

1953
The Welfare Sewing Group of the Club again sent new and used clothing to the Scott Mission, Crippled Civilians, the Salvation Army and to Dame Carolyn Haslett, D.B.E., President of IFBPW.

1955
$100 was donated to the Lena Madsen Phillips Endowment Fund for work in the Middle East, and $100 to the Silver Jubilee Fund for work throughout the world.

Toys were brought to the Christmas party for the Woodgreen Centre.

$100 was sent to the Hurricane Relief Fund, and $100 to the Community Chest.

The Projects Committee recommended scholarships or bursaries of $100 each be sent to the School of Business Administration, the School of Nursing, University of Toronto, and the Ontario College of Education.

It was with pleasure and pride that the Club established a bursary of $500 to be presented to one or more BPWC of Ontario active members in good standing for at least two years, to enrol in a course in any accredited Canadian university. Applicants were required to show need, merit, and promise. Preference was to be given to one of our own members.

If no suitable applicant for the bursary could be found by September 20, 1956, the $500 bursary would be made available to a woman student in a faculty of the University of Toronto.

1961
The Toronto BPW Club began the sale of UNICEF cards at Christmas time. This is still carried on today.

The Toronto Club's bursary was extended for another five years and increased from an amount of $500 to $750.

A new bursary for $350 was initiated to be awarded to a female student entering the Ontario College of Education for one year, with the understanding that such student teaches a science in secondary school. This was to be called the “Elsie Gregory MacGill Bursary”.

1963
Edna Kelly reported on her session at the United Nations that the BPW Clubs were supporting the Ramallah project, a school in Jordan where refugee Arab girls were educated in a chosen career.

1975
In January the Toronto Club sponsored three young career women (under 18) to attend a conference in Niagara Falls, N.Y.

In September the bursary programme was reinstated with funds remaining from the “arts of Management” project. Pat Detenbeck was asked to chair the new ad hoc committee.

1976
In April a Chinese cooking demonstration raised $1,431.50 for the Bursary Fund.

1977
In November a fundraising Treasure Sale was held at North Toronto Gardens.

$300 was donated to the North Toronto club for repairs to their clubhouse roof.

1980
In April a gift of $300 was sent to the Nairobi Club for their clean water project.

In September there was a NAC fundraising dinner but the main fundraising event of the year was “Swiss Delight”, which comprised a travelogue, and a fashion show and packing demonstration, with wine and cheese being served. First prize in a lottery drawn that night was two return air tickets to Switzerland, compliments of Swissair, and two holiday transportation passes from the Swiss National Tourist Board. Proceeds went to the Bursary Fund.

1981
In March the fundraising event for bursaries was a fashion show at City Hall, which included fashions for the disabled in keeping with the 1981: the Year of Disabled Persons.